Thursday, March 22, 2012

Turnips anyone?



















The map above is from the Haddam Historical Society http://www.haddamhistory.org/history_haddam.htm
It shows on the left the plot of Daniel Cone "4A" along the banks of the Connecticut River. Four plots above his is listed Gaurand Spencer, his father-in-law.

Daniel was probably a farmer and one of the crops grown in Haddam was turnips. In A Digest of Early Connecticut Probate Records, found through the New England Historical and Genealogical Society's website http://www.americanancestors.org/home.html
I found the following;
Smith, Thomas, Haddam, died 2nd November 1674 Invt L46- Taken by Wm Clarke, Symon Smith, James X Wells. Will dated 22 September 1674.
I, Thomas Smith, of Haddam do make this my last Will & Testament: I give... my turnips equally betwist James Welles, Daniel Cone, Joseph Stennard and John Bailey. I give what Timothy Spence oweth me to Daniel Cone.
Vol. 1, Page 234.

I wonder if these heritage seeds have come down through one or more branches of the Cone Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment